The Pia Almoina was established in Girona in 1228 by Canon Arnau d'Escales (1160-1237), who also donated three houses of his property, next to the Cathedral. Bishop Guillem de Cabanelles had the building erected in 1238, with assets that he inherited from Jaume d 'Aragó, son of the Duke of Gandía.
Construction grew between 1415 and 1421 with the purchase of the neighboring buildings of the old Jewish quarter. At the end of the 18th century, as a consequence of the confiscation of pious works decreed by Carlos IV, the building was sold to various private buyers. Later, in 1856, it passed into the hands of the Escolapias sisters to use it as a school, a function that it maintained until the 1970s. Between 1973 and 1983 the architects Jeroni Moner, Benet Cervera and Arcadi Pla rehabilitated the building to turn it into the headquarters of the Girona Demarcation of the College of Architects of Catalonia